Iran may make claims or engage in activities which appear contrary to our view of them as rigid fundamentalists. But time and again, Iran has proven it has pursued one consistent goal since its agents besieged the American embassy and took hostages in 1979.
The motive behind the [light bulb] ban exhibits the same collectivist paternalism seen in Anthem. As a consequence, the ban will curtail our freedom to decide what is best for our lives.
When government involves itself in the production of knowledge, it curtails both our liberty to express our beliefs and our freedom to support institutions promoting what we believe.
Through a series of interviews with prominent entrepreneurs and experts on Rand’s philosophy, Objectivism, the new documentary Ayn Rand and the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged attempts to explain why the novel is so popular, and just how its predictions have come true.
Christmas has become a holiday known for its commercialism—and many recoil at this, claiming that commercialism is antithetical to the spirit of the holiday. From one side of our culture, advocates of religion tell us that holiday materialism distracts us from the true “reason for the season.” From the other side, Occupy Wall Street protesters [...]
The world celebrates sports, particularly team sports. Soccer matches are so contentious in Europe that it’s not uncommon for riots to break out over the game’s outcome. In the United States, football has arguably eclipsed baseball as America’s national pastime. Beyond the entertainment value itself, many see special value in the teamwork epitomized in [...]
Most everyone agrees that if you work, you should be compensated based on your productivity, skill, and time. Financiers are no different: their work demands far more than forty hours a week, their skills are highly specialized, and the value of what they produce depends on their focused, creative performance.
The Occupy Wall Street protesters claim that the American Dream has been hijacked by the financiers of Wall Street and other wealthy Americans. Most of the protesters argue that the wealthiest 1% of American society has achieved economic power and political clout that the other 99% lacks. They advocate reversing this balance, which they view [...]
By preventing ordinary citizens from going about their business, Occupiers are in effect protesting the “injustice” of laws that allow for peaceful interaction and free economic exchange. By what right do the Occupiers disrupt the lives and freedom of others?
Why, in spite of massive evidence that profits motivate entrepreneurs to innovate in ways that enable so many of us to live comfortably, is there still a sense that inequality is unfair?